Brunch for the Cure 2014
Brunch for the Cure to support Susan G. Komen San Diego after Race for the Cure on Sunday, November 2, 2014. Brunch + brews served 9:30am until 1pm. A portion of proceeds from ticket sales will go directly to Susan G Komen San Diego. Tickets sold here!
Each Brunch for the Cure ticket holder will receive:
-Green Flash Brewing Treasure Chest Pint Glass
-2 x Green Flash brews including Treasure Chest 2014 Barrel-Aged Saison with Plum
mushroom and pepperoni + sausage pizza
rosemary feta quiche | asparagus + tiger blush tomato
cannellini bean quiche | cavolo nero + sun dried tomato + pecorino + baked egg
house made sausage
breakfast bun + muffin
warm cabbage salad | pickled raisin + marcona almond + toasted fennel + port vinaigrette
bitter green salad | belgian endive + radicchio + roasted apple + yellow wax bean + red onion + blue cheese buttermilk vinaigrette
fruit + yogurt + granola station
Celebrate Champagne Day on October 24!
Celebrate International Champagne Day at CUCINA urbana and CUCINA enoteca Del Mar on October 24!
Taste three different styles of champagne from three artisanal producers. Enjoy the crisp and toasty Bochet-Lemoine, the juicy berries of Michel Forget brut rosé, and the honeyed, decadent Lanson demi-sec. Don’t miss this opportunity to taste these stunners side by side for one day only on Friday, October 24th.
Each flight will include (3) three ounce pours for $24.
bochet-lamoine | marne valley, france | brut champagne
michel forget | reims, france | rosé champagne
lanson | reims, france | demi-sec
Lunch and dinner reservations are available at CUCINA urbana and CUCINA enoteca Del Mar. Flights are available throughout the entire restaurant including the communal areas.
In addition, receive no corkage on all our featured champagnes offered table side, as well as 10% off these bottles and 15% off six packs to go.
CUCINA urbana honors Breast Cancer Angels as the #sipsupport beneficiary for October
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. CUCINA urbana is highlighting Breast Cancer Angels as our #sipsupport beneficiary. For every glass, carafe or bottle of CUCINA private label wine, vino bianco or vino rosso, sold October 1 to 31, CUCINA will donate $1 to them.
Breast Cancer Angels provides financial and emotional assistance for women and their families as they endure stage 4 breast cancer treatment. Assistance is available in Long Beach/South Bay, San Diego and Orange Counties. One-time emergency assistance in the Inland Empire and Los Angeles County are possible when funds are available.
• 120 clients are currently being assisted per month who have a combined total of 133 children.
• All donations are processed regionally. The money raised at CUCINA urbana will help a family in San Diego County!
• A corporate sponsor pays overhead. This enables 100% of all other donations to assist women in treatment.
• Annual expenditure on client needs is now over $400,000. Forty long-term clients are served per month, and another 70-80 women who need assistance on an emergency basis. Each year approximately fourteen of the women being assisted lose their battle. Assistance continues even when hospice is called in.
Breast Cancer Angels Programs
• BCA provides gift cards to the market of the client’s choice; the dollar amount depends on family size and need. The average per household is $250 per month.
• BCA assists with emergency housing costs, up to $500 per month, for women in treatment for metastatic breast cancer and women struggling to complete treatment so they can return to work.
CLOTHES AND OTHER NEEDS
• BCA provides gift cards to local stores for the needs of children in the home.
MEDICAL CO-PAYS & COBRA COSTS
• This aid is provided as needed to ensure no patients lose their insurance in the middle of treatment and to ensure that prescriptions are filled when needed.
• Gas cards or bus passes are provided to help transport women to treatments.
HOME HEALTH CARE & FINAL EXPENSE
• Short-term home health care and final expenses are provided as needed.
SECOND OPINION FUND
• Jerry & Patti Walsh established a Second Opinion Fund in memory of their daughter, Dayna. A second opinion can improve the chance of survival.
• Financially assists young people whose lives are affected by their mother’s breast cancer.
HOLIDAY PARTY FOR CLIENTS
• Each year a Holiday Party at Boomer’s Amusement Park in Fountain Valley is held for clients and their families. All families attending receive gifts, craft time and tokens to participate in games. A visit from Santa & Mrs. Claus is the highlight!
• Breast Cancer Angels has a paid social worker who helps clients find additional resources. Home visits assess client needs.
• Pro bono attorneys assist clients with custody and other legal issues.
If you, or someone you know needs assistance from the Breast Cancer Angels, please visit breastcancerangels.org
CUCINA goes Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness during October
CUCINA urbana and its family of restaurants in San Diego County are going PINK for the month of October to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month. You’ll notice subtle hues of blush tones and not-so-subtle hot pink menus around the restaurant. Stay tuned for special pink-inspired menu items as well. Follow along on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook or share your pink contribution with the hashtag #CUCINAgoesPINK.
Wine Specials for October
Wine specials from our Wine Shop are good through the last day of October, or while supplies last. Prices good for bottles ‘to go.’
This month we are highlighting four wines, two white and two red that hail from the islands of Italy! Try these unusual and tasty wines from some lesser-know regions of Italy. 10% off a bottle, 15% off a 6-pack and no corkage for the month of October!
Guiseppe Gabbas | Cannonau $30
Canayli Vermentino di Gallura DOCG $23
Donnafugata ‘Chiaranda’ chardonnay $44
COS Frappato $32
Wine Specials for September
Wine specials from our Wine Shop are good through the last day of September, or while supplies last. Prices good for bottles ‘to go.’
Veuve Clicquot ‘Yellow Label’ | Brut $68.
Veuve Clicquot ‘Yellow Label’ | Rosé $85.
Veuve Clicquot 2004 Vintage | Blanc $95.
Veuve Clicquot 2004 Vintage | Rosé $101.
Wines purchased by the case receive 10% off, ‘to go’ only.
September’s #sipsupport beneficiary is The Country Friends
All month long during September, CUCINA urbana is proud to showcase The Country Friends as our #sipsupport beneficiary. For every glass, carafe or bottle of CUCINA private label wine sold during the month of September, we will donate $1 to them! Enjoy our vino bianco or vino rosso.
The Country Friends supports human care agencies with emphasis on those providing services to women, children, the elderly, and persons with disabilities in San Diego County. Funds are raised through numerous events, and sales of donated and consigned items at The Country Friends Consignment Shop in Rancho Santa Fe. The shop offers fine furniture, antiques, rugs, silver, china and object d’art.
The Country Friends are celebrating their 60th diamond anniversary this year. Their signature event, The Art of Fashion, will be held at The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe on September 18th. For tickets and information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Hours for Labor Day
CUCINA urbana and its family of restaurants, CUCINA enoteca Del Mar, CUCINA enoteca Newport Beach and Fish Public will be closed to observe Labor Day. CUCINA enoteca Irvine will be open normal business hours. All restaurants will be open on Tuesday, September 2nd for usual business where CUCINA restaurants will serve lunch at 11:30am and Fish Public will serve dinner at 5pm.
Enjoy the day with your family and friends. Be safe and we hope to see you this week!
Challenged Athletes Foundation is #sipsupport beneficiary for August
During the month of August, CUCINA is highlighting the Challenged Athletes Foundation® as our #sipsupport beneficiary. For every glass, carafe or bottle of CUCINA private label wine, vino bianco or vino rosso, sold between August 1 and 31, CUCINA will donate $1 to them!
The Challenged Athletes Foundation® (CAF) is a unique non-profit that helps people with physical challenges live full, active lives through participation in fitness activities and competitive sports. CAF believes that participation in sports at any level increases self-esteem, encourages independence and enhances quality of life. Often times the expensive cost of adaptive sports equipment can be an obstacle that keeps those with physical disabilities on the sidelines. Most medical insurance does not cover adaptive sports equipment; they deem these “luxury” items. CAF believes sport is a right and therefore helps overcome this economic barrier.
WHAT CAF DOES:
Over the past 21 years, the Challenged Athletes Foundation has raised in excess of $55 million and over 9,500 funding requests from physically challenged athletes in all 50 states and dozens of countries have been satisfied. The funding and support provided by the Challenged Athletes Foundation can be the difference between “getting into the game” and being left on the sidelines. The Challenged Athletes Foundation funds the purchase of expensive adaptive equipment (like running prosthetics, racing chairs and handcycles) and helps pay for coaching and travel expenses for athletes at all levels. More often than not, these costs are not covered by conventional medical insurance.
• Operation Rebound program provides support for injured military and first responders, to get them from the front line to the finish line. Through additional programs CAF also provides support for challenged athletes of all ages.
• Catch A Rising Star program provides important coaching and instruction through more than 20 free clinics and camps conducted throughout the country. Whether learning adaptive swim strokes, how to run on prosthetic running blades, or how to maneuver a handcycle, more than 600 athletes annually are provided with the skills and confidence they need to succeed in sports and in life. Check the schedule for opportunities to join, or volunteer.
• Project N.Ex.T. program is a mentorship program that pairs the newly injured or challenged athletes just discovering athletics with accomplished mentors that have overcome similar challenges.
HOW YOU CAN SUPPORT:
Through special events, partnership events, and individual fundraising, CAF helps everyone, at any level, make a difference in the lives of challenged athletes. CAF puts on many unique, first-class fundraising events as ways to get involved and make a difference. CAF events are challenging and rewarding, but most importantly allow people to see first-hand how they are changing the lives of challenged athletes. You can fundraise for CAF by participating in a number of additional partner events which include a complete calendar of marathons, triathlons and other events throughout the country. Participate in Race for a Reason and selecting your own athletic race or special event to fundraise for CAF. In April 2014, CAF distributed their 2014 Access for Athletes grants to 1,469 challenged athletes, totaling over $3.1 million.
We encourage you to learn even more at challengedathletes.org.
June #sipsupport charity is Home of Guiding Hands
During the month of June, we are highlighting Home of Guiding Hands as our #sipsupport beneficiary. For every bottle or glass of CUCINA private label wine sold during June, CUCINA urbana will donate $1 to them!
Home of Guiding Hands mission is to improve the lives of those they serve. They are committed to providing quality community support, critical housing and life skills training for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities in San Diego County over the past 47 years. They maximize the independence, productivity and quality of life for individuals with autism, epilepsy and cerebral palsy.
Currently, HGH provides a multitude of services ranging from
• Early Start. Early intervention services for infants 0-3 years old
• Respite. Respite workers go into the clients home and provide care for the client to provide a break from care for the caretaker/parents.
• Independent Living. Clients live on their own and have counselors who help them throughout the week.
• Transportation Services drives clients to work, school, and day programs.
• Counseling and Family Support. Counseling for clients and for those who support the client.
• Residential Services. There are 31 homes in San Diego County where clients live, serving over 1,000 people.
We encourage you to learn even more about this exceptional program at guidinghands.org. Volunteers are always needed for mailings in the office, to adopt a home, and at fundraisers. Become a Home of Guiding hands volunteer.